Pages

A Sampling:

Click to visit over 250 more NEAG Shops!

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

New England Thanksgivings...

I asked our New England Artisans Gathering members to share some insights, ponderings, memories, recipes.... whatever they wished to share about Thanksgiving in New England. These are a few of the responses. I hope you enjoy getting to know our talented members a little better :)


Linda of Hallowed Hill:
"One of my thanksgiving memories/funnies is that over the years, I have tried many different homemade cranberry sauce recipes. They are all so very pretty, and authentically New England. But... each time, I hear the same old thing, "Mom... do you have a can of jellied cranberry sauce in the cupboard?"

LOL... Never fails. And I can't even smash it all up and serve it in a pretty vintage dish with a silver spoon. Oh no. It MUST be sliced... LOL

But, that's what it's all about right? Pleasing our loved ones and making special memories in the "little things"."

"My father started a tradition in my family of everyone holding hands while he said the prayer before the Thanksgiving meal.....except every year it got longer....he ALWAYS said, "And thank you for all those we love, those who are with us and those who are far away, those who are babies and those who are getting old, those who are in heaven and those who are not yet born..." I miss him and my mom so much. We still hold hands and I still include that part of Dad's prayer, but we also have each person say something they are thankful for on that special day.

As for what am I thankful for this year?

WHOA....so much....I love my international friends, but I am thankful for my country, the USA. I am thankful for each and every person in my life. I am thankful we have a place to live, heat to keep us warm, clothes so we can leave the house, a car that works, decent health, food to eat, a large family to love, nobody in our family is out of work, and my faith sustains me through anything. Also, flowers, trees, mountains, oceans, old faces, the smell of a baby's head and the feel of soft newborn hair, COLORS, houses in a millions different shapes and designs, the internet, really good books and movies, MUSIC, rocks. Think I should stop, but remember this is my RECESSION thanksgiving list."

"Sweetlandarts, so eloquently said!

As I read your post, I laughed, because my Dad, who is now 92, makes his Thanksgiving prayer shorter and shorter each year!

I am especially grateful this year for the new love of my life, Sophie, my first grandchild, born last month. "
*
Marilyn of Bella Beads 4 U:
"I am thankful for each day. In my eyes, each day is a gift.

I am thankful for family and friends, near and far; for good health, employment and my hubby, the love of my life of 26 years. "

Joan Strickland Garbe of Garbe Bags:
"Years ago I was asked to say Grace at my boyfriend's house for dinner, and being put on the spot I repeated a grace that I had heard in summer church camp years ago "Rub a dub dub, thanks for the grub! Yeah God!" Now 30 years later my daughter is dating someone from the same family who was only 5 when I said that grace, and he let me know his family continued saying that grace every Thanksgiving in the years to come! "

"I am so thankful that my mom has done well with her chemo treatments. With both parents in their 80's, I feel blessed for each day that I get to spend with them."

And
Kate Kilgus of Nutfield Weaver
shared this wonderful recipe:

"Nantucket Cranberry Pie."
1) Preheat oven to 350. Chop cranberries, enough for 2 cups. Chop walnuts, enough for 1/2 cup.

2) Put chopped cranberries & nuts in buttered 10" pie plate.

3) Mix 2 eggs, 3/4 cup melted (but slightly cooled) butter, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup flour, 1/4 t. salt and 1/4 t. almond extract (don't use the imitation stuff - use the real thing). Stir until smooth & pour over cranberry mixture. Bake for 40 minutes.

Think about how healthy you are by including cranberries in your diet. (heh, heh).


On behalf of the New England Artisans Gathering, we wish you a very Happy Thanksgiving wherever you are, and hope that you and all of your loved ones are happy & healthy. And "Thank You" for visiting with us.

1 comment:

Joan Strickland Garbe said...

Happy Thanksgiving everyone, finding friends here among the artisans of New England Artisans Gathering has been a creative blessing, with a connection that helps keep up my spirits and interest in pursuing the artistic side of my life. I am loving it! Thank you to all that have helped bring handcrafts back into our lives, we all love you for your support and encouragement. Happy Thanksgiving, enjoy the coming holidays everyone.